What would anemia in the mother do to an unborn baby?

Q. What would happen if a woman had anemai (low iron) without knowing it during pregnancy? Would it affect the baby?

A.


How serious is anemia during pregnancy?
Q. 30 weeks pregnant and the dr just called to say that when they did my blood test the other day my iron levels were even lower than before. I hae been anemic through all 4 pregnancies but never has my dr seemed to be so concerned. Does being anemic put my baby at risk?

A. anemia can lead to premature labor if its not treated.


Why do I crave cornstarch and ice during pregnancy?
Q. I've read about something called "Pica", but I don't like to eat any other weird things, at any other time, so I don't think it's that. During my first pregnancy I started to crave cornstarch during my eighth and ninth month, just like now. Could it be genetic, because a couple other females in my family do this during pregnancy as well? I also crave ice sometimes too.
The anemia thing you all are mentioning definitely rings a bell. A few members of my family are anemic, including my mother. After I had my son, they did find that my iron levels were dangerously low, and I had to take iron pills for a while. I will definitely look into this at my next appointment.

I've also stopped taking my prenatal vitamins, because they make me very sick, someone mentioned that as well. I did that as well, the end of my 1st pregnancy, which ties in with everything. All very good answers. Thank you all very much.

A. This is what I found about Pica
A complete medical evaluation to discover the cause of the persons craving a foreign substance. This will include, blood and urine tests. In some cases the doctor may want a chest xray to see if any foreign matter has entered the lungs.

Treatment is dependent on the cause of the pica. Anemia and zinc deficiency may be treated with supplements. Often pica is treated with counseling and behavior modification techniques. Some doctors/psychiatrists are advocating the use of psychotropic medications to treat pica associated with OCD.

I think that everyone craves different things during pregnancy. Its normal


What can I do about anemia during pregnancy besides taking iron pills?
Q. I'm 19 weeks and recently came out anemic in a blood test, but the problem is I am still having nausea every night and iron pills make me completely sick to my stomach. What else can I do? Which foods have the most iron besides red meat? I'm soooo tired all the time.

A. ask your doctor for an IV of iron . i would have done one while i was pregnet but i had some problems and had to deliver my baby early. HE really wanted me to do one once a week for the rest of my pregnancy but like i said i had some complications and had to deliver early. but thats what the plan was





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment