Do all dogs going through heat have false pregnancies?

Q. My 11 month dog is going through her first heat. I have heard about false pregnancies and I am wondering if she will for sure go through a false pregnancy after her heat is over. What is the likelihood of this happening?
EDIT: I am not asking if she is having a false pregnancy. I want to know what are the chances of her having a false pregnancy. Like is a 50/50 thing? Or is it something that happens once in a while to dogs.

A. Well obviously all entire bitches will have a season - right to the end of their lives. False pregnancy however is comparatively rare, so I'd suggest far more bitches won't go into this after being in season - and it's certainly nothing like a 50% likelihood.

Get her spayed - in another 2 months time and then you won't have to stress about this possibility. Incidentally if she should, it's quite distressing for the b itch, and by far the kindest thing IS to spay her should that happen. I'd suggest you should be more concerned about whether she might develop mammary, or uterine cancer later on if you don't get her spayed, than about a false pregnancy (or come to that, a true pregnancy because bitches in standing heat will be as eager to find a mate, as any roaming dog will be to find her).


Is it possible for an 18 year old to experience false pregnancy?
Q. I am paranoid all the time that i'm pregnant and in the end i'm not. Here I am back again thinking i'm pregnant even after i had my period because i'm feeling pain in my sides and breast tenderness. Am I really pregnant or is it just false pregnancy?
It's almost been a week since my period ended. These pains started two days after it ended. So what's up?

A. That's not false pregnancy.....and if you had your period you are not pregnant.

Read some books or search the Internet..get some more knowlege about the subject.


How to stop my female yorkie from lactating during a false pregnancy??
Q. I have a 3 year old female yorkie...she has recently came in to heat and now she has a false pregnancy. She has not been within contact with a male dog so she can't be pregnant. Here mammary glands are swollen and she has begun to leak milk from them. Is there anything I can do or anything to give her OTC for her to stop lactating?? I am taking her in November to get spayed. PLEASE HELP!!!

A. I have had chihuahuas go thru this as well. They usually dry up on their own within a couple of weeks. You will probably see her "mothering" a stuffed animal or blanket or something of that sort. They get kind of depressed too and need lots of extra loving during this time. You could ask the vet about something to help stop the milk, but like I said it usually tajes care of it by itself within a week or 2. You could call the local shelter and ask if they have abandoned kittens or small pups that need a foster mom. One of my chihuahuas fostered 6 pups when she had a false pregnancy.


what is the difference between cat pregnancy and false pregnancy?
Q. I am not sure if my cat is pregnant or not. She has most of the signs of cat pregnancy, but I am not sure if it is false pregnancy or not. What is the differences between the two?

A. It's very difficult to tell, they are pretty much the same. Get your cat spayed and you won't have to worry about it.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment