How serious is cholestasis of pregnancy? What should i do?

Q. My daughter has been diagnosed with cholestasis of pregnancy, and from what we have read, it could be dangerous to the baby, has any1 else had this condition? We have talked to the dr, ans she said she has never really dealt with it, that it is not common.

A.


what treatment baby might have after birth?
Q. I was just recently diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy and I was wondering what treatment my baby will have to go through once she is born. I am going to have an Amnio done at 37 weeks for lung maturity and if they are mature enough they will deliver her via c-section that day. So I want to know if she will have to go through any special treatments after she is born?

A. I would check with your Dr. but the reports I've seen is it like jaundice and is fully reversible, all you need to do is be delivered. I know for jaundice they say to put them in sunlight for a specific amount of time.


What relieved the itchiness of prurigo of pregnancy? How soon after birth did it go away?
Q. If you've had prurigo of pregnancy, what relieved the itchiness? And how soon after giving birth did it go away?

Thanks!

A. I'm sorry you have this. I gave birth to my son in Sept 2009 and I had PUPPs (prurigo of pregnancy) from July to August of last year.

Please note that also, cholestasis can mimic certain symptoms of PUPPs.This normally only makes your palms of your hands, and the soles of your feet really itchy, and oftentimes it's the only symptom.This is a serious disease affecting your liver, and is dangerous for both you and your baby.If you have PUPPs symptoms, your dr. should also do a liver function test, as well as a bile-salt test.

Over the Counter Remedies:

Hydrocoritizone cream-From my own experience, this didn't really help much past the first 1-2 days of having PUPPs.Put in the freezer and go stand in front of a fan after putting it on.

Price:This is about $4.00 at CVS or Wal-Mart


Benadryl-Again, this is also a subjective remedy.It does make you drowsy,so pay attention to when you take this.I think the Benadryl/calamine lotion combo works better than the Benadryl pill.If anything,the pill will help you sleep.

Price: $5-8.00

Sarna Anti-Itch Lotion-The active ingredients in this are camphor and menthol, which give you a cool tingly feeling to alleviate some itchiness.It has to be reapplied often, and if you've scratched yourself raw, do not put it on! Trust me, I gave myself contact dermatitis this way.Take a cold shower, then put it on

Price:$11-14.00

Doctor-issued remedy:

Corticosteroids: I was given prednisone, 5mg a day for 10 days.Does help alot (I barely have any hives left) but i'm still itchy, but not nearly as bad.

Price:Your insurance should cover it, but I paid $4.00 at Wal-Mart because I didn't have my card on me.walgreen's and cvs charge $15.00.

Comfort-oriented remedies:

Cold showers- several times a day. take one as cold as you can stand it. hot water dries out and irritates your skin further

Oatmeal baths- Aveeno makes this godsend of a product, but there's generic brands too.dump it in lukewarm water, and within 5-10 minutes your itchiness subsides.until, 40 minutes after you get out of the tub and dry off,anyway.

Price- approx. $1.25/per bath solution packet


dress loosely-the more roomy clothes you're wearing, my dr says that your skin "breathes" better. Personally,yoga pants and a tank helped me.Jeans=hell.

Herbal Remedies:

Dandelion Root- this is a pill recommended to me by a friend's midwife. taken 2x/day, it supposedly helps. a tea made from this plant works too.

Price: $8.00


Vitamin K- Studies have shown women with PUPPs or cholestasis BOTH have lower levels of this vitamin.Ask your dr. if your prenatal vitamin needs some help.

Price: unsure


Vitamin E- break open the capsules and apply

Price: $4-8.00


Has anyone on birth control pills experienced itching all over your body (cholestasis?
Q. Also, if you've ever been pregnant, did you have itching all over/cholestasis (ICP) during your pregnancy? I had ICP during pregnancy and OB says I can never take pills b/c it can cause same itchy problem as I had while prego.

A. Hi! I had ICP with my first pregnancy, it started at 28 weeks. It's horrible, isn't it? After my son was induced at 38 weeks my doctor put me on micronor, a progesterone only pill. I didn't itch at all, and it's a good pill to be on if you plan to nurse. I had no problems with my milk supply, and my fertility returned at about 9 months.

Rarely women do report itching while on the pill. Yahoo has a great group, itchymoms, who helped me alot.

24 weeks, 6 days and no sign of ICP yet (knock on wood).





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment