What tests and things need to be done during a pregnancy and one year after giving birth?

Q. I am doing a project for school and I need to know the cost of having a baby. I would like to know what tests and vaccinations need to be done during pregnancy and one year after giving birth.

A. That is alot of info. I posted a link to baby center. I used that alot when I was pregnant. The link lists all the test by trimesters.

I am sure if you use this site it will help with all your questions for your project.

Here is how that starts and I ONLY listed the first trimester:

"First trimester tests"
At your first prenatal visit, your practitioner will give you a thorough physical, including a pelvic exam. She'll do a Pap smear (unless you've had one recently) to check for abnormal cells, including cervical cancer. She may also do a culture to check for chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Next, she'll order routine blood tests to identify your blood type and Rh status, and a blood count to check for anemia. She'll also have the lab test your blood for syphilis, hepatitis B, and immunity to German measles (rubella), and offer to test for HIV. (If your practitioner doesn't offer you an HIV test, be sure to ask about it. Being treated for HIV during pregnancy can dramatically reduce your chances of passing the infection to your baby.) In addition to taking blood, she'll ask for a urine sample to test for urinary tract infections and other conditions.

If you're at high risk for gestational diabetes, a glucose challenge test might be done at your first visit. In some cases, your provider will also do a skin test to see if you've been exposed to tuberculosis. And if you're not sure whether you've even had chicken pox (or been vaccinated against the virus), she'll order a blood test to check for immunity.

In addition, your caregiver may offer you genetic screening, such as a nuchal translucency screening (an ultrasound done at 10 to 12 weeks) or a first-trimester combined screening (an ultrasound and a blood test). These screening tests can give you some information about your baby's risk of having certain chromosomal problems and other birth defects. Another option is CVS, a prenatal genetic diagnostic test done between 10 and 13 weeks. Finally, depending on your ethnic background and medical history, you may have a blood test to see if your baby is at risk for sickle cell disease, Tay-Sachs disease, cystic fibrosis, thalassemia, and certain other genetic disorders. "


GOOD LUCK and I hope you get an A+


Can anemia cause a false negative on a preganancy test?
Q. I am anemic and a few months ago i missed my period and have been having abdominal pain. I have only missed that one period and had the others regularly. I had heard anemia can cause false negatives and abnormal menstruation during pregnancy. I have had two pregnancy tests and both were negative. Could i possible be pregnant?

A. Hmm...Interesting question. I have never heard of this! I don't imagine it would cause a false negative because anemia has nothing to do with your hCG count. But, I am not an expert.

For the abnormal menstruation, that DOES make sense but not during pregnancy. If you are pregnant you should not be "menstruating". You can spot, or even bleed lightely during pregnancy and be fine, but not "menstruate".

I starred it because I am kind of hoping someone can give a better answer.

Good luck.


Rh alloimmunization during pregnancy - is there a similar rxn with regard to the ABO system?
Q. I dunno if anyone will be able to help me with this, but I'm curious. I understand Rh sensitization during pregnancy and why it's important to prevent it. My question is this: is there a similar reaction to a mixing of maternal and fetal blood with regard to the ABO system? If not, then why not? It seems like it would work on the same principle, but I've never heard of a drug that addresses such a problem.

A. With Rh factor, named after it's discovery using Rhesus monkeys, the problem occurs when the fetus is Rh+ (thus HAS the Rh+ protein) and the mother is Rh- (does NOT have the protein). In this case the child would have gotten this protein from the father. The mother's body sees the protein as foreign, at least to her, and tries to destroy it, and in doing so harms the fetus in the process. With the ABO system you can have whats called ABO incompatibility. This disease afflicts newborns whose mothers are blood type O, and who have a baby with type A, B, or AB.

Ordinarily, the antibodies against the foreign blood types A and B that circulate in mother's bloodstream remain there, because they are of a type that is too large to pass easily across the placenta into the fetal circulation. Some fetal red cells always leak into mother's circulation across the placental barrier (mother and fetal blood theoretically do not mix, but in actuality, they do to a small degree).

These fetal red cells stimulate the formation of a smaller type of anti-A or anti-B antibody which can pass into the baby's circulation and there cause the destruction of fetal red cells. The increased rate of destruction of red cells causes a subsequent increase in waste product production. This excess waste product, bilirubin, can overwhelm the normal waste elimination processes and lead to jaundice, the presence of excess bilirubin.

This condition is one of the hemolytic anemias. Jaundice is the most common problem encountered, which may require phototherapy or even exchange transfusion. Anemia of some severity is sometimes encountered and may need to be tracked with serial blood counts, but I have yet to see a case severe enough to justify transfusion. For reasons that are unclear, B-O incompatibility (mother type O, baby type B) seems to be in general more severe than A-O incompatiblity.


Can you get two rhogam shot during pregnancy?
Q. I wanted to know can you get two rhogam shot during pregnancy? Cause I research an dad that said only one.

A. from personal experience having 3 boys all A positive, the older two born in the 80's no rhoGAM during pregnancy only the day after. My son born in the 90's I had one shot at 28 weeks and he developer multiple health issues caused by the mercury. I asked my current gyno and he said the shot given the day after a positive birth was so effective that less than 2% of babies developed RH disease and hemolytic anemia. He said the only reason the shot is given during pregnancy is to increase profits. The less than 2% would never be helped by the shot. There is always a risk of any medicine in pregnancy. My middle son had RH disease and he is a Jr. in college on a football scholarship with a 3.2 GPA. I'll take 6 months of treatment for RH disease over the life long problems my youngest suffers. He will never hold a job, live on his own, marry or have friendships.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment