Do I have to cut out sugar and caffeine totally during pregnancy?

Q. What about Caffeine Free sodas?
Or a few pieces of chocolate?
Is it that bad for you?

A. I cut out caffine to some degree but not all of it. You are allowed to drink about 6-8 cups of tea a day. I drank decaffinated tea and caffine-free coke cola (which is exactly the same). Chocolate is fine. My doctor told me to eat what I crave and when I want to.


Is decaffeinated black tea okay during the 2nd and 3rd trimester?
Q. I have completely cut out caffeine during this pregnancy but recently I have been having 1-2 cups of decaffeinated black tea a day. I am really enjoying it.

Is this bad for my baby? I am 26 weeks and 5 days pregnant.
Beccame - it is decaf!

A. Decaf is fine (so says my OB). I've had a cup or two a day with my last few pregnancies (beginning to end) and the babies have been healthy as horses!

Good luck!


Does the caffeine in Coke Zero work as a diuretic?
Q. I've had a few over the last week or so and I have been peeing constantly. I suspect that I may be pregnant but I'm not sure if the increase in urinary frequency is related to the caffeine or the possible pregnancy.

Any thoughts?

A. The caffeine in coffee is a mild diuretic, but moderate consumption of coffee has no greater effect than that seen with plain water.


How much caffeine can i drink a day?
Q. I am addicted to caffeine and I want to know how much I can drink in a day. I drink the 375ml diet coke, I drink between 4 to 10 cans a day depending on how stressed out I am. I have tried giving it up but I got headaches, get very stressed and anxious but as soon as I drank a mouthful I felt it all lift.

A. I did a search for "caffeine" and found many sites and what looks to be some good information. I also found some information on caffeine withdrawl headaches as well.

I do know that caffeine is a drug and can be addictive. I used to only drink four measuring cups of coffee a day and a diet cola or two before my pregnancy. I thought it would be hard to give up, especially knowing it would be "okay" while still pregnant (as opposed to beer and wine which I have not missed like I thought I would). I still drink coffee, maybe two or three pots (I use a four cup coffee maker) a week and while my husband bought me caffeine free diet Pepsi, I just don't like it as well any more, I think it's the soda itself. I figure that coffee is healther than soda at least. One thing I do when I want the "idea" of coffee is that I mix some already brewed grounds of half and half and either some decaf or regular, about a tablespoon's worth. It's more psychologocial than anything else and I don't think I'm really doing any harm to my baby. (I limit myself to one drink a day that is not water, soy milk or juice, so that would either be coffee or soda.)

I hope this helps. This might be a topic where you just have to do some searching on. As it is, I think I should review some of the inormation I have and have found on caffeine and pregnancy. Especially since, about four months along, I was reminded that chocolate contains caffeine. Oops.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment