How long does it take to detect vaginal herpes?

Q. I have had through out the years vaginal lesions. I didn't think they were vaginal warts because there was not a wart bump, but more like a open sore. I as the doctor a year ago if I could have herpes and she said I had to come in when I had an outbreak. Now I am pregnant and my doctor says I have herpes and will need cream to put on during the birth so my child wont get it. I have a son 5 years ago and the doctor never said anything about herpes to me then. Is the blood test for herpes a new test? Would it have been detected 5 years ago if I had it then?

A. You have to have a blood test done during an OUTBREAK, because the antibodies are in your system, trying to fight off the herpes virus. That is the only time it will show up in a test. If you didn't know you had herpes 5 years ago, then your doctor would not have known. Like I said, unless you told the doctor, or there was an outbreak (something for your doctor to see and TEST), then he would not have known. As for your current pregnancy, you need to be put on Valtrex (yes, it is safe), because if you have an outbreak and then have a vaginal birth, the baby will be exposed with potentially life threatening consequences. If you have an outbreak despite Valtrex when it is time to deliver your baby, your doctor will need to perform a c-section, NOT administer a "cream". This is serious business and it concerns me that your doctor is talking about creams and not putting you on medication.


What happens if you contract herpes when you conceive?
Q. If you get herpes and get pregnant in the same sexual encounter, what happens to the baby? Will it get herpes from being inside the uterus? or is herpes only spread to a baby during delivery?

A. If you contract herpes just before you got pregnant then herpes can cause some complications to the pregnancy. But herpes isn't usually passed while the baby is in the womb or by genetics. The risk occurs as the baby comes through the birth canal while the mother has a break out. If the mother has a genital break out while she delivers, there is a high risk of passing herpes to the baby as it comes through the birth canal.
Doctors usually prescribe antiviral medication a few weeks before you deliver to help prevent break outs so you can deliver naturally with very low risk of passing herpes to the baby. Herpes is very rarely passed to babies.


What happens if you have a herpes outbreak during pregnancy?
Q. What happens if you have a herpes outbreak during your pregnany? I am 26 weeks pregnant and had an outbreak. I had my first outbreak a couple months before I became pregnant. Is there any risks in getting an outbreak during pregnancy? And is it ok to take valtrex? My doctor told me to take 3 grams a day. Just looking for other people's experience on this.
Yes, it was my dear husband who gave it to me, but he only has the oral kind, I have the *other* kind.

A. it is fine to have an outbreak during pregnancy as long as you dont have one within a month of giving birth. then its too risky to pass on to the baby. you say that you husband has oral herpes and you have the "other" kind. you really probably both have the same strain, but oral herpes can pass to the genitals through oral sex and genital can pass to oral. but really, the strains are different. you likely have the same strain that your husband has on his month, just in a different area. that is a good thing, it is a milder strain and your outbreaks will occur less often and come even less often and be more mild as time passes.


With genital herpes, how can a man give his wife a baby without giving her herpes?
Q. I know herpes is spread when you have no signs as well as with signs.. but my question is, what methods can be used for couples with one partner infected ?
And if the 2nd partner later discovers she too has herpes, is unprotected sex ok or should precautions still be taken?

A. Wow. The amount of misinformation in these answers is stunning.

To start, herpes is spread through skin-to-skin contact. So his semen will NOT contain the virus.

Second, as long as the couple does not have intercourse when he has symptoms, the likelihood of transmitting the virus is not huge. It's not tiny, but it's not huge. If he takes an antiviral, like Valtrex, the percentage drops even more. A study of partners where one had herpes and the other did not showed a 2% transmission rate per year without Valtex, and less than 1% with Valtex.

Third, even if she did get herpes, she could still have a healthy baby. She might choose to have a cesearean to prevent transmission to the baby, but there are no horrible medical consequences if he gives her herpes. There is no reason to go for artificial insemination, for pete's sake!

Life is risk. And in my opinion, the risk of possibly giving her herpes is so GREATLY outweighed by the desire to have a baby that it isn't even a contest.

For more information on pregnancy and herpes transmission, including a hotline phone number where you can ask people difficult questions about herpes, check out the web site below. I've also included a link to the Valtrex study.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment